Black and white postcard featuring an image of the Pepperpot or Pepper Pot viewed from Queens Park Road with a lodge building on the left. A number of children are stood in a line posing for the photograph. The postcard is captioned 'The Pepper Box. Brighton.' The image is blurred in the middle towards the base of the postcard.
This postcard shows the Pepperpot, Brighton. It is a view east from the opposite side of Queen's Park Road. Several boys and men can be seen standing in a line in front of the tower. Attree's Villa is also visible on the left of the photograph. The Pepperpot, which is sometimes also known as the Pepper Box, is one of the most distinctive landmarks in the Queen's Park area. It was built to accompany the villa built for Thomas Attree in 1830. Although the villa was demolished in 1972, the Pepperpot and several other features in Queen's Park survived. The purpose of the Pepperpot is unclear, but it was probably built as either a water or observation tower. It was used as an observation post during the Second World War, but it has also served as the home for a printing press, a scout hut, and a public toilet.