This is a large stoneware mug in buff clay with freckled brown dip. It has a thick handle and pinched spout. Around an applied inn sign of a canon (gun) it is inscribed 'Thos Furner Brighelmstone' (sic). There is a circular stamped mark on the body indicating quart fluid capacity and a WR excise mark within an oval. It was made in Bristol in 1766. Thomas Furner was landlord of The Gun Inn (later Harrison's Hotel) in Market Street, Brighton. In 1800, The Gun Inn was kept by Mrs Elizabeth Furner. The mug was found by Andy Dyer in 1985 when new council offices were being constructed adjacent to Brighton Town Hall.