This photographic print shows the original Bedford Hotel building on the King's Road, Brighton. Originally opening in 1829, the building was designed by Thomas Cooper, one of the town commissioners. By the middle of the 1800s it had established itself as one of Brighton's most fashionable hotels. The author Charles Dickens was one of its most famous guests; his novel 'Dombey and Son' was completed while staying here. The original building was destroyed by a fire in 1964. A new Bedford Hotel was erected on the site in 1967. The new development also featured a block of flats, Bedford Towers.