Description (Object or Artwork):
This postcard shows a photographic image of St Bartholomew's Church, Brighton. It is a view north toward the church entrance from St Peter's Street. The front of several houses in St Peter's Street are also visible. St Bartholomew's Church was built in 1874 according to the design of Edmund Scott. Funded by the Reverend Arthur Wagner, the church was built according to the reputed dimensions of Noah's Ark. Unusually, the church lacks any aisles or galleries, and has the tallest nave of any parish church in Britain. St Bartholomew's was intended for the poorer people who inhabited this area of Brigthon. Unlike many churches of the time, all 1,500 seats were made available free of charge.