Description (Object or Artwork):
Monochrome photographic print showing the Maltings and Stores of the Kemp Town Brewery at the corner of Sutherland Road and Eastern Road, Brighton. William Hallett of Marine Parade, founded the Brewery about 1850. Later he took into partnership Henry Abbey (after whose family Abbey Road was named) and in 1860s the Maltings were built adjoining Brighton College. The Brewery was successively named Hallett and Abbey?s, Abbey and Sons, Abbey?s Kemp Town and finally, Kemp Town Brewery. After being acquired by Charringtons brewing ceased here and the sites were sold for redevelopment. View of the ground floor of the Maltings showing the cast iron props and girders holding the building up.