View of the Duke of Cumberland's House, on the Steine at Brighthelmston.
Creator (of Artwork / Object):
Date Created (of Object / Artwork):
Description (Object or Artwork):
After James Luttrell. This is a view of Russell House built by Doctor Russell in 1753. After his death in 1759 it was rented by various people, including the Duke of Cumberland. It was pulled down in 1826 to make way for the Albion Hotel. The building is set high up on the cliffs to the right of the print and boats can be seen to the left at sea and on the shingle along with two bathing machines. There is a woman and two children in a decorative open hut on the cliff top, and a man and a woman holding a child to their right against the wall at the east side of the house. Several people and a dog on the water's edge. Sea holly and vegetation in the foreground. [Dup]