This photographic print shows the Corn Exchange, Brighton. It shows a series of hospital beds that have been arranged along the sides of the room. The photograph was taken during World War One when the Pavilion estate was used as a military hospital for wounded soldiers. It may have been taken in early December 1914, shortly before it opened as a hospital for Indian Corps troops wounded on the Western Front. Alternately, it may have been taken after the Indian Military Hospital closed in January 1916. In April that year, the building was briefly opened to the public before it began use as a hospital for limbless British men from the summer of 1916.